The cartouche is German and calls the settlement across the Danube the Rascian town, which is the only name the future Novi Sad is given anywhere on the sheet. A note at the foot records that the partition of that town was carried out by the Court Commission in 1748, that whatever is coloured red belongs to the Military and whatever is washed in yellow to the Cameral administration, and it gives a scale bar in fathoms. The river is lettered across its course in German with arrows for the current, and a compass rose is drawn on the Novi Sad bank.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
On the card
Plan von der Festung PETERWARDEIN sambt der über der Donau ligenden Rätzen-Stadt / DONAU STROHM / 200 Klaffern
- Date
- 1745
- Coordinates
- 45.25000, 19.86700
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 570 × 800 px
Open on the full map ›