The card is headed with the town name in block capitals, Serbian in Latin letters with no Hungarian or German version, so this is a real-photo card of the Kingdom period. Seen from the fortress above, the whole lower town is a mass of steep tiled roofs and tall brick stacks with the baroque bell tower of the friary church rising among them under its onion cap. Below the roofs the walled courtyards of the outworks run down to a tree-lined promenade along the water, and the far bank is low and industrial, with factory chimneys and sheds and a straight road running away inland from the crossing.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
- Date
- 1920s
- Coordinates
- 45.25000, 19.86700
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1882 × 1224 px
Open on the full map ›