The street name is printed in red in both Hungarian and German, with the imprint of the local court photographer J. Singer at the foot, so the card was issued while the street still carried the name of a Hungarian prime minister; it became Njegoševa after 1918. The message is written across the picture side in German and opens with a hearty greeting, and a pencilled name has since been scrawled over the caption that cannot be made out. The neo-Gothic spire of the Name of Mary church closes the view up the street, and a hooded fiacre waits at the kerb.
About this place
A short street of just under 350 metres running from Liberty Square past Trifković Square, first settled by German merchants from 1739-40; part of it already appears on the 1745 city plan and it had its present outline by the end of the 18th century. It was long known as White Ship street (German Weisse Schiff-Gasse, Hungarian Fehér-hajó utca) after the famous Bela lađa tavern at No. 5, then renamed after Hungarian prime minister Gyula Andrássy in the 1890s, and after the First World War given the name of the poet-bishop Petar II Petrović Njegoš. Its landmarks include the Art Nouveau Iron Man palace of 1909 at No. 2 and the 1880s school building at No. 22, built as a Hungarian state girls' school and now the Svetozar Marković Gymnasium.
On the card
ÚJVIDÉK / Andrássy-utcza / Andrássy Gasse / Verlag: J. Singer, Hofphotograf, Újvidék / Herzliche Grüsse
- Date
- 1916
- Coordinates
- 45.25583, 19.84468
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 360 × 562 px
Open on the full map ›