A novelty card printed to imitate a Hungarian postal money order, with a counterfoil and a sum entered in figures. On the line meant for the amount in words the sender has written the same greeting three times over, in Hungarian, German and Serbian Cyrillic, turning an official form into a demonstration of how many languages one town spoke. The stamps are cancelled with datestamps that carry the Hungarian name of the town on one side and the Serbian on the other, a bilingual postmark.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
POSTA-UTALVÁNY / SZELVÉNY / 1000 K / Ezer üdvözlet / Tausend Grüsse / Хиљаду поздрава / Ujvidék / Нови Сад
- Date
- 1917
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1624 × 1027 px
Open on the full map ›