A private print with no caption or imprint on it. Four of the six stand in white one-piece flying overalls with leather helmets, goggles pushed up on the forehead and a small cloth badge on the chest, one is in a long leather coat, and the two on the flanks wear service tunics and flat-topped field caps, one of them in breeches and riding boots. The machine behind them is a biplane with an uncowled nine-cylinder radial engine and a two-blade wooden propeller carrying a maker's decal on the boss; the hangar mouths stand open behind, their painted lettering too small to read.
About this place
Novi Sad's military airfield lay on the western edge of the city, on the flat ground at Sajlovo that later took the name Jugovićevo. The city ceded the land in 1912 at the request of the Austro-Hungarian general staff and the field opened with a flying meeting in May 1913, at first no more than grass strips and eleven wooden hangars, with brick hangars, workshops and barracks following in 1916. A Serbian squadron flew in from France in November 1918, and for the next two decades the field was the centre of military aviation in the new Yugoslav state, home of the first pilot school, of training schools for reserve officers, observers and mechanics, and of the air force command until it moved to Zemun in 1936; it was renamed in 1927 after the aviation officer Jovan Jugović. German bombers struck it in April 1941, the occupiers laid an 800 metre concrete runway, and after the war the field lost its purpose as the city grew over it, leaving Jugovićevo as the name of a residential district.
- Date
- 1933
- Coordinates
- 45.26034, 19.79934
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 2720 × 1814 px
Open on the full map ›