A magazine page with its running heads set in both Cyrillic and Latin and each of the two photographs captioned twice over in the same pair, the doubling that Yugoslav publishing used after 1918. The captions describe the joining of the two towns by the new bridge, and both views show truss spans afloat on coupled barges, walked out and lifted onto the piers, with the fortress ramparts beyond. A credit line at the foot names the photographer as Vajda of Novi Sad, with a studio in Železnička street; his forename is abbreviated and the house number does not resolve.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito. In photographs it is told apart from the town’s other crossings by the spiked finials along its truss, a silhouette that recalls the bridges of Budapest.
On the card
НОВИ-САД ПЕТРОВАРАДИН / NOVI-SAD PETROVARADIN / Vezivanje Novog Sada s Petrovaradinom novim mostom / […] Вајда, Железничка […]
- Date
- 1926
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1418 × 1796 px
Open on the full map ›