A hand-coloured engraved plan, labelled throughout in German alone. The settlements on the Novi Sad bank are named not by names of their own but by who lived in them, one the Croat village and one the Swabian village, and what became Novi Sad carries no name of its own anywhere on the sheet. The crossing is marked as two ship bridges, a redoubt is named out in the river, and the fortress is broken up into castle, town, hornwork and crownwork and inner retrenchment, with a chapel and a farmstead on the open ground below it.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
On the card
2 Schiffbrucken / Croaten Dorff / Schwabendorff / Insel Schanz / Schloß / Statt / Horn Cron und Werck / Das innere Retranchement / Capell / Meyerhoff
- Date
- 1700s
- Coordinates
- 45.25000, 19.86700
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1600 × 1200 px
Open on the full map ›