A single railway track on ballast runs away through the portal of a through truss with a rounded top chord, which is the point about this crossing: it carried the railway and not the road. A man in a peaked cap stands at a timber gate on the abutment where a fence closes the approach, a signal arm is rigged on a bracket above him, and the trees on the bank are bare. The image is a halftone reproduction off a printed page.
About this place
The Emperor Franz Joseph bridge was the first permanent crossing of the Danube at Novi Sad and it carried the railway, not the road. It went up in 1883, the year the line from Subotica reached the town in March and the stretch onward to Zemun opened in December, and it stood for fifty-eight years. After 1918 it was renamed for Prince Andrej of the Yugoslav royal house. The Yugoslav army blew it up in April 1941 to slow the German advance southward, and the occupiers put up a replacement railway bridge that they in turn destroyed as they withdrew in 1944. This archive's catalogue gives the length as 432 metres and credits the design to Karl Baumann, who is said also to have driven the tunnel under the Petrovaradin fortress.
- Date
- 1883–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25017, 19.85890
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1024 × 684 px
Open on the full map ›