The lettering is German alone and gives the imperial and royal title the place carried before the infantry cadet school moved in from Osijek in 1895, so the plate is earlier than that change. Three smaller lines credit the draughtsman, reserve the right of reproduction, and name a Vienna printer, which makes this a commercial lithograph rather than a photograph. The school stands on the hill above the village behind a walled forecourt with gate lodges and avenues of young trees, and a paddle steamer trails smoke on the Danube below with the Petrovaradin fortress on its bluff beyond.
About this place
The long school building above Sremska Kamenica was raised in 1848 for the Austrian army and has been given over to military or police training for most of its life since. An infantry cadet school moved here from Osijek in 1895 and stayed until the empire ended, and postcards of that period caption it K. u. K. Infanterie-Cadettenschule; the village itself is Kamanc in Hungarian and appears on the cards as Kamenitz. Between the wars the Kingdom of Yugoslavia ran the place as its gendarmerie and non-commissioned officers' school, the name printed on the 1920s and 1930s cards, and after 1945 a run of militia and interior-ministry schools followed. It holds the Serbian police Centre for Basic Police Training today, keeping its original romantic-revival shape in a park of some sixteen hectares; no architect is recorded for it.
On the card
K. K. MILITAIR-OBER-ERZIEHUNGSHAUS zu Kamenitz (bei Peterwardein) / Doderer gez. / Mit Vorbehalt des Nachdrucks / Druck v. Reiffenstein & Rösch in Wien
- Date
- 1860
- Coordinates
- 45.22059, 19.85098
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1600 × 1139 px
Open on the full map ›