The printed caption is German alone, naming a bridge command on the crossing between the two towns and using the German name of each, so this is an army plate rather than a civilian card. Austro-Hungarian soldiers and an official stand outside the guardhouse under its own board, which repeats the same word.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
On the card
Brueckenkommando an der Bruecke, die von Neusatz nach Peterwardein hinueberfuehrt / Brueckenkommando
- Date
- 1914–1918
- Coordinates
- 45.25000, 19.86700
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1600 × 1175 px
Open on the full map ›