The greeting is set twice, once in Hungarian using the Hungarian name of the town and once in German using the German one, so the same place is offered under two names to two readerships, which is the pre-1918 pattern. The court itself is named in Hungarian only. A crowd in summer dress has assembled in the unmade road before the building, with carriages drawn up at either side, and the imprint at the foot is that of the local court photographer J. Singer.
About this place
The court house stands at the Danube park end of Dunavska street and was raised in 1896 to plans by the Budapest architect Gyula Wagner. Under Hungarian rule it held the royal court of justice, and a trilingual postcard of 1915 labels it M. Kir. Törvényszék, Окружни суд and Justizpalais, giving the Hungarian, Serbian and German names in turn. It went on housing courts after 1918, when the city passed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. The Vojvodina Museum, founded in 1947 and without adequate premises for decades, moved into the former courthouse in 1974 and occupies it still under the name Museum of Vojvodina.
On the card
M. Kir. Törvényház / Üdvözlet Ujvidékröl / Gruss aus Neusatz / Verlag J. Singer, Hofphotograph, Neusatz
- Date
- 1908
- Coordinates
- 45.25647, 19.85145
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1916 × 1306 px
Open on the full map ›