Two shopfronts opposite carry the proprietor's name in Latin letters and his trade, a confectioner's, in Cyrillic above it, which is how the Kingdom period lettered a shop. Both vehicles are bonneted single-deckers with luggage racks over the roof, a saloon car stands behind them, and the paving is wet after rain. A large painted hoarding is up against the church wall carrying Cyrillic lettering too degraded to read, and a two-wheeled handcart has been left out on the square.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
JS. LAZIĆ / ПОСЛАСТИЧАРНИЦА
- Date
- 1931
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 2636 × 2546 px
Open on the full map ›