The square is not open paving here but a formal garden of circular beds and looping paths, with a rank of hooded fiacres drawn up along its edge and a white monument on a plinth at one corner. A line of canvas-roofed market stalls runs the whole length of the church flank, and tram rails curve through the open ground past a single tram car and one motor car. The Town Hall shows its balconied tower across the garden and the neo-Gothic spire is seen from above.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1920
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 800 × 573 px
Open on the full map ›