The caption names the school in Cyrillic and again in Latin, with no Hungarian, and calls it a state boys gymnasium, the title it carried once the Kingdom took it over from the Serbian Orthodox church that founded it. Two wings come forward on either side of a set-back centre block, giving the plan the shape of the Cyrillic letter П, and the forecourt between them is closed by cast iron railings on a low wall with masonry gate piers. A baroque church tower rises behind the further wing.
About this place
The Serbian Orthodox Grand Gymnasium, founded on 27 January 1810, is one of the oldest Serbian secondary schools; today it continues as the Jovan Jovanović Zmaj Gymnasium. Its present building was erected in 1900 to a design by architect Vladimir Nikolić, replacing the school's house from the second half of the 18th century, with funds given by Baron Miloš Bajić and other benefactors. Built in an eclectic spirit with elements of Serbian Romantic architecture, it has a floor plan in the shape of the Cyrillic letter П and a first-floor ceremonial hall rich in stucco decoration. The building is protected as a Monument of Great Cultural Significance.
On the card
Нови Сад / Novi Sad / Држ. Мушка Гимназија / Drž. Muška Gimnazija
- Date
- 1918–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25806, 19.84795
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 709 × 450 px
Open on the full map ›