The square is named in Hungarian and German, and the hotel on it signs itself twice, once in the international form and once with the Hungarian word for a hotel, while the beer hall beneath is lettered in Hungarian, Serbian and German all three. Two green postage stamps have been affixed to the picture side and cancelled. The card is coloured, and the hotel runs the length of the far side of the square.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
UJVIDÉK. / Ferencz József-tér. / Franz Josefs Platz. / GRAND HOTEL MAYER / SÖRCSARNOK - PIVARA - BIERHALLE / GRAND HOT[…] / […]GY SZÁLLOD[…]
- Date
- 1900s
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 844 × 536 px
Open on the full map ›