The caption is set in Hungarian and German alone, with the street name in the older cz spelling, which places the card under Austro-Hungarian administration before 1918. A stationer's sign for books and paper hangs on the corner building, and the dress of the people waiting below, long coats and hard hats, belongs to the same years. Two spires close the view down the cobbled street.
About this place
Built in 1746 by Armenian Catholic refugees from Belgrade, consecrated to Saint Gregory the Illuminator. Damaged in the 1849 bombardment of Novi Sad and restored in 1872 with the support of Marija Trandafil. Demolished in 1963 for the widening of today's Bulevar Mihajla Pupina; a khachkar memorial marks the site.
On the card
UJVIDÉK / Úri utcza, örmény templommal. / NEUSATZ / Herrengasse mit Armenischer Kirche / [KÖ]NYV és PAPI[R]
- Date
- 1900–1914
- Coordinates
- 45.25338, 19.84343
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1625 × 1044 px
Open on the full map ›