The nearer dinghy carries the sail number 21, with a name painted on her bow that will not read. The truss over the water is riveted lattice on masonry piers, not the timber trestle thrown across this crossing in 1946, so the permanent bridge was already up. On the plateau above it the fortress shows its long barrack ranges and the clock tower whose hands are reversed, the long one telling the hours, and the escarpment under it is bare rock and scrub with nothing built on it.
About this place
The Marshal Tito bridge carried road and rail traffic over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin, on the crossing now occupied by the Varadin bridge. The first permanent bridge here, named for Prince Tomislav, was built between 1921 and 1928; Yugoslav forces mined it in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944. The replacement went up quickly after the war, at first with timber trestle approaches carried on wooden piles, and Josip Broz Tito opened it in January 1946, which is when it took his name. NATO aircraft destroyed the bridge on 1 April 1999, and the 304 metre Varadin bridge opened on the same crossing in September 2000.
- Date
- 1950–1970
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1516 × 1039 px
Open on the full map ›