The steel portal is lettered for the bridge's dedication to Tito, in one script alone with no second language, which places it after the crossing opened in 1946. A saloon car of the early 1950s comes off the bridge, and the fortress stands on its hill across the water.
About this place
The Marshal Tito bridge carried road and rail traffic over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin, on the crossing now occupied by the Varadin bridge. The first permanent bridge here, named for Prince Tomislav, was built between 1921 and 1928; Yugoslav forces mined it in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944. The replacement went up quickly after the war, at first with timber trestle approaches carried on wooden piles, and Josip Broz Tito opened it in January 1946, which is when it took his name. NATO aircraft destroyed the bridge on 1 April 1999, and the 304 metre Varadin bridge opened on the same crossing in September 2000.
On the card
Most marsala Tita
- Date
- 1946–1960
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1352 × 1000 px
Open on the full map ›