A four-wheel tram car carries the route number 2 painted on its dash with a white destination board beneath that will not read, and the wires above the street gather into a tangle of feeders on lattice poles. A tall glazed traffic kiosk with a canopied top stands out at the kerb beside a round road sign. The boy nearest the camera wears a dark soft side cap with a pale metal device on it and a light belted raincoat with a badge in the lapel, and the saloon cars ranked along the kerb are of the later 1930s.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1942
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 476 × 610 px
Open on the full map ›