Two captions are printed at the foot, the street name above a greeting from the town, both of them set in German and Serbian with no Hungarian at all, which is the pairing Petrovaradin cards carry where Novi Sad cards across the river carry Hungarian. The publisher has dropped a syllable from the Serbian, setting Petrovardina for Petrovaradina. The street runs between single-storey houses under deep tiled eaves up to a church with a bulbous cupola on its bell tower.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
On the card
Kirchengasse. - Crkvena ulica. / Gruss aus Peterwardein. - Pozdrav iz Petrovardina.
- Date
- 1900s
- Coordinates
- 45.25000, 19.86700
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1032 × 1600 px
Open on the full map ›