The three shop fascias that can be read are all in Cyrillic alone, with no Latin beside them, which is the post-war pattern, and they give a chemist, a polyclinic and a photographic studio along the square. The baroque Holy Trinity column still stands on its stepped base, an inscribed tablet set into the plinth too worn to read here, and the column was taken down in April 1947, so this is the last winter it saw.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
ДРОГЕРИЈА ХИГИЕА / ПОЛИКЛИНИКА / ФОТО СТУДИО
- Date
- 1947
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 2336 × 1536 px
Open on the full map ›