The corner tavern names itself three times over on one pier, vertically in Cyrillic on one face, in Latin on the other, and again on the board over the doorway, so the Crna Gora advertised to readers of both scripts at once. A painted panel beside it offers wine, beer and brandies above a line for home cooking, spelt as it was spoken rather than as it was written. Along the pavement a script fascia carries a proprietor's name, a hanging cut-out in the shape of a bicycle marks a cycle dealer, and a tall illuminated sign carries three letters across its head with six more set vertically below that will not resolve. Tram rails curve away through trodden snow under their overhead wire and the neo-Gothic spire closes the view.
About this place
The street of the Jewish quarter, running from the old centre towards Futoska. The synagogue and the Jewish community house stand on it at numbers 9 and 11, the third synagogue built on that ground. The tram ran along it, and the shopfronts on both sides put it among the busiest trading streets in the town. Rákóczi Ferenc street is the Hungarian-era name of today's Jevrejska street, which runs west from Liberty Square through what had been the city's Jewish quarter since the late 18th century. It commemorates Ferenc II Rákóczi, leader of the Hungarian uprising against Habsburg rule between 1703 and 1711, and postcards published in the 1900s and in 1916 print the name in Hungarian and German alike. The street changed name repeatedly: Jevrejska until the 1930s, then Kralja Petra II, Rákóczi Ferenc again during the Hungarian occupation of 1941 to 1944, and Ulica JNA from 1944 until the name Jevrejska was restored. The postcard view looks east along the street toward the red brick neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church on Liberty Square, with a tram of the line that ran here from 1911 in the distance.
On the card
ЦРНА ГОРА / CRNA GORA / ЦРНА ГОРА / ВИНО ПИВО РАКИЈЕ / ДОМАЋА КУЈНА / Хуберт / RAD […]
- Date
- 1947
- Coordinates
- 45.25292, 19.83941
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 2346 × 1596 px
Open on the full map ›