The caption is Hungarian alone, while the long streamline block that dominates the view is a building of the 1930s, so the card cannot be from the earlier period of Hungarian rule and belongs instead to the wartime administration. Old pantiled roofs run away beneath it and the fortress stands on the skyline.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
Újvidék látképe
- Date
- 1941–1944
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 552 × 346 px
Open on the full map ›