The shopfronts are lettered in Hungarian, and one of them carries a Serbian shopkeeper's name spelt the Hungarian way with the surname set first, so the occupation had reached into private signage as well as street names; the street itself carried Hitler's name in these years. A woman in a hat and a patterned dress stands beside a parked motor car with a registration painted on it, more cars drawn up behind her, and the church tower rises over them. The cars are of the 1930s.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
AU 492 / Delvillamossag / Dungyerov Istvan
- Date
- 1942
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1029 × 719 px
Open on the full map ›