The print comes from the Museum of Vojvodina photograph collection and carries an inventory number, so the unit identified below the picture is the museum's own attribution rather than a caption added later. A street sign in Hungarian still hangs from its pole, left standing from the occupation these soldiers were marching in to end. A flag has been hung out from the church tower, and the long canopied block of the Tanurdžić Palace runs down the pavement opposite.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
Борци 12. војвођанске бригаде улазе у Нови Сад / Музеј Војводине, Збирка фотографија, инв. бр. 15935 / AUTÓBUSZ MEGÁLLÓ
- Date
- 1944-10-23
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 840 × 651 px
Open on the full map ›