The boulevard is brand new, unmetalled, its verges raw earth and its saplings newly staked in rows behind wire fencing, with telegraph poles carried up one side. A policeman in a dark tunic and peaked cap stands out in the middle of the roadway. Past the trees the town closes the view with a domed church tower and a spire above the roofs, and a large classicist block with a giant order of columns stands at the near corner.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito. In photographs it is told apart from the town’s other crossings by the spiked finials along its truss, a silhouette that recalls the bridges of Budapest.
- Date
- 1928
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1224 × 758 px
Open on the full map ›