Headed NOVI SAD - НОВИ САД in both Serbian scripts, with no Hungarian or German version. The bridge shows two arched truss spans with curved top chords. A tall modern block stands over the bare trees with vertical slots near the head of its tower, which is the Banovina, finished in 1939, so the view cannot be earlier than that year, and the bridge is still up, so it cannot be later than 1941. On the plateau across the water the long barrack ranges run along the crest with the fortress clock tower at their end.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
- Date
- 1939–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1154 × 720 px
Open on the full map ›