The arch is lettered in Serbian alone under a spread eagle, naming the crossing for a prince, which places it in the Kingdom between the bridge's opening in 1928 and its destruction in 1941. This is a frame from a film rather than a photograph. A saloon car of the 1930s and horse carts cross the deck together.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito. In photographs it is told apart from the town’s other crossings by the spiked finials along its truss, a silhouette that recalls the bridges of Budapest.
On the card
KRALJEVICA TOMISLAVA
- Date
- 1930–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 480 × 360 px
Open on the full map ›