Rails sweep across the paving in a long curve where the line turns, and the overhead is carried on lattice masts whose spans cross the whole front of the church. Flags are out on staffs at the tower and over the nave roof. The car on the curve is a four-wheeler with a bow collector, a lorry stands behind it, and a kiosk and a poster hoarding are up at the kerb; the great rose window and the arched west portal are square to the camera.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1950s
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 568 × 850 px
Open on the full map ›