A large rectangular patch of fresh render has been laid over the nave wall, and the blank party wall rising above the church roof belongs to a taller neighbour, so the block around it had already been cut about before the church itself came down. The tower carries a bulbous onion dome under a cross, with arched belfry openings, a small rosette set in an oculus below them, and a pedimented porch with a cross over its opening. Tram rails and an overhead wire run down the street past a round road sign.
About this place
Built in 1746 by Armenian Catholic refugees from Belgrade, consecrated to Saint Gregory the Illuminator. Damaged in the 1849 bombardment of Novi Sad and restored in 1872 with the support of Marija Trandafil. Demolished in 1963 for the widening of today's Bulevar Mihajla Pupina; a khachkar memorial marks the site.
- Date
- 1945–1963
- Coordinates
- 45.25338, 19.84343
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 320 × 480 px
Open on the full map ›