The church here is not the neo-Gothic one that stands on the square now but its predecessor, the eighteenth-century parish church with a single rendered tower, a clock face and a low pyramidal cap, which the city resolved to pull down in 1891. Nor is there any Town Hall opposite it, that going up between 1893 and 1895, so this is the square before the whole of it was rebuilt. The baroque Holy Trinity column and a wayside crucifix stand among the market carts on bare unmetalled ground.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1888
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 960 × 674 px
Open on the full map ›