The caption is Serbian in both scripts with no Hungarian, which places the card after 1918, and it names the building as a teacher training college, which no other copy of this card in the archive does. A large secessionist building stands on a corner site with a tall hipped turret over the entrance bay and young trees along both street fronts.
About this place
The large secession school at Futoška 17 was begun in 1912 for the Hungarian Catholic gymnasium, on the plot where the city's first hospital had stood at the end of the nineteenth century. It is laid out on a plan shaped like the Cyrillic letter P, two storeys high, with a pyramidal dome over the centre carrying a metal globe. The original drawings are lost and the architect has never been settled, though Béla Pekló and Miksa Strobl have both been proposed. After the First World War the building took in the State Women's Teachers' School together with its boarding house, which is the use the postcard in this archive records; after the Second World War it held the Moša Pijade gymnasium, the secondary school of economics and the school for kindergarten teachers, and since 1983 it has been the main building of the Mihajlo Pupin school of electrical engineering. The first game of basketball played in Novi Sad took place in its yard on 17 May 1924. The archive holds three separate cards of this corner, by different publishers and in different printings, and they do not agree on what to call it: one is captioned Uciteljska Skola in Serbian, one Leanygimnazium in Hungarian for the girls' grammar school, and one names no building at all. The same block housed both schools.
On the card
Novi Sad, Uciteljska Skola
- Date
- 1919–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.24964, 19.83472
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1127 × 713 px
Open on the full map ›