The fortress is named three times over, in German, Serbian and Hungarian, so the card served all three readerships and was issued before 1918. Railway tracks curve below the fortress walls with telegraph poles set along the line, and no gate shows in the view.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
On the card
Festung Peterwardein / Grad Petrovaradin / Petervarad var
- Date
- 1900–1918
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1453 × 944 px
Open on the full map ›