The caption is German alone, giving the town and the street in that language only, and the publisher's imprint runs vertically down the edge in Fraktur. The message, though, is written in Czech across the picture side, the undivided-back convention Austria-Hungary gave up in 1905, and it thanks a friend for a gift before announcing six weeks at Karlovci for a Congress, so a fourth language passed through a town whose cards ran in three. The street is a run of low houses under deep tiled roofs with arcaded shopfronts, closed at its far end by an arched masonry gateway.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
On the card
Peterwardein / Hauptgasse / Verlag v. Ignácz Urbán, Neusatz. / Milý příteli! / Přátelům přijmi můj srdečný dík za Tvůj […] dárek. / Zítra jedeme asi na šest neděl do Karlovic na Congres; Srdečný pozdrav od nás obou a Milostivé paní ruce líbá Tvůj Čermák
- Date
- 1902
- Coordinates
- 45.25000, 19.86700
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1124 × 730 px
Open on the full map ›