The caption runs in three languages, and the Serbian calls the place a market where the Hungarian and German both call it a square, so the same ground carried two different ideas of what it was. Two shop fascias are legible, one giving a surname first in the Hungarian order and one a plain German surname, with a Cyrillic board above them and a Hungarian name on a projecting sign. The baroque column is crowned with a gilded starburst and cross and has lion figures at its base, and there are no rails in the setts nor any overhead wire, so this is before the tram of 1911.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
UJVIDÉK / Főtér a Szentháromságszoborral / Главна пијаца са Тројством / Hauptplatz mit der Dreifaltigkeitssäule / SCHWARZ VILMOS / WAGNER / СРПСКА
- Date
- 1908
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 750 × 478 px
Open on the full map ›