The destination board is lettered in Cyrillic alone, with no second language beside it, which is the post-war pattern, and it sends the car to the Danube quay. The tram takes its current from a bow collector on the roof and a second car waits behind it; the line was lifted in 1958, so the picture is earlier than that. The Town Hall shows its balconied tower across the paving, and the brick flank and buttress of the Name of Mary church stand beside the tram.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
30 / ДУНАВСКА ОБАЛА
- Date
- 1950s
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1250 × 863 px
Open on the full map ›