The caption is Hungarian and Serbian with no German, and both words mean simply the promenade, so the card names a walk rather than any building on it. The print is set on a wide cream mount with the caption below it in Hungarian and Cyrillic. Walkers in winter coats fill the tree-lined walk, the trees bare, with a glazed pavilion to one side and a long public building along the other.
About this place
The court house stands at the Danube park end of Dunavska street and was raised in 1896 to plans by the Budapest architect Gyula Wagner. Under Hungarian rule it held the royal court of justice, and a trilingual postcard of 1915 labels it M. Kir. Törvényszék, Окружни суд and Justizpalais, giving the Hungarian, Serbian and German names in turn. It went on housing courts after 1918, when the city passed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. The Vojvodina Museum, founded in 1947 and without adequate premises for decades, moved into the former courthouse in 1974 and occupies it still under the name Museum of Vojvodina.
On the card
Setater / Setaliste
- Date
- 1900–1918
- Coordinates
- 45.25647, 19.85145
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1323 × 835 px
Open on the full map ›