The palace shows the front it was given in 1901, a gabled centre of three tall arched windows under a pierced parapet, corner turrets with ball finials and a small spired lantern over the roof. The baroque bell tower standing behind belongs to the Cathedral Church, and a baroque memorial with an oval cartouche stands railed off on the paving before it. Fascias run along the shopfronts opposite but the print is too soft to read a word of them, and nothing is printed on the card to date it.
About this place
The residence of the Serbian Orthodox Bishop of Bačka, standing at the head of Zmaj Jovina street. The first episcopal palace here was built in 1741 under Bishop Visarion Pavlović next to the Cathedral Church and was destroyed in the bombardment of June 1849. The present palace was completed in 1901 to a design by architect Vladimir Nikolić, its facade blending Byzantine and Serbian medieval monastery motifs with the schooling of Vienna; Patriarch Georgije Branković attended its inauguration. Since 1984 a monument to the poet Jovan Jovanović Zmaj has stood in front of it.
- Date
- 1900s
- Coordinates
- 45.25700, 19.84790
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 927 × 615 px
Open on the full map ›