The caption is Hungarian alone, which places the card before 1918 and names the hospital as the city's own. A track is laid in the roadway across the whole front, its rails and sleepers plain in the dirt, and the tram reached the hospital only from 1911, so the earlier catalogued date cannot stand. The entrance block at the end of the range carries a shaped Secession gable, an arched carriage opening and a small spired lantern, while the ward wings beside it are plain two-storey ranges under hipped tiled roofs.
About this place
Novi Sad's public hospital was built in stages between 1907 and 1912 on what was then the western edge of town, along today's Hajduk Veljkova street in the Sajmište district. Its architect was György Kopeczek, a Hungarian who specialised in hospital buildings and who had also designed the city theatre in 1907. It opened in 1909 as the Great City Hospital, with departments for surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, skin and venereal diseases and infectious diseases, and one of the tram lines that began running in 1911 came out to it. Hungarian and German captions on the postcards name it Újvidék város közkórháza and Allgemeines Krankenhaus; Serbian cards after 1918 call it Državna bolnica, the State Hospital, and the site has stayed in hospital use ever since as the Main Provincial Hospital and now the University Clinical Centre of Vojvodina.
On the card
Ujvidék / Ujvidék város közkórháza
- Date
- 1911–1930
- Coordinates
- 45.25163, 19.82206
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1160 × 750 px
Open on the full map ›