There are no rails in the setts and no overhead wire, so this is the square before the electric tram came in 1911, its traffic horse cabs drawn up in ranks and a market of canvas awnings. The Town Hall of 1893 to 1895 shows its balconied tower, the baroque Holy Trinity column stands on its plinth in the middle of the paving, and the eclectic palace opposite, with a giant order of pilasters and a round window in its pediment, is the Novi Sad Savings Bank, its name cut across the entablature but too worn in this print to read.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1905
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 720 × 562 px
Open on the full map ›