Every shop fascia on the square is lettered in Hungarian, the pharmacy in the gabled house beside the church and the tradesmen's names opposite, too small here to transcribe, which points to the occupation years of 1941 to 1944 rather than to the Kingdom. Tram rails run through trodden snow past the baroque Holy Trinity column, which was taken down in April 1947, and the rounded corner of the Tanurdžić Palace of 1933 stands lit across the way; the exposure was made at night from high on the church.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1941–1944
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 960 × 718 px
Open on the full map ›