The bronze is Meštrović's Svetozar Miletić, a bearded figure in a long overcoat with his fist raised, on a plain block plinth in a grass plot with concrete kerbing. The figure was taken down and hidden through the occupation and only came back to the square late in 1944, so this is either the two years after it was first set up in 1939 or some time after the autumn of 1944. Two single-deck buses of the same pattern are drawn up on the roadway, and a shop fascia across the way is too small in this print to read a letter of.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1940–1960
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 575 × 660 px
Open on the full map ›