The square is named in Hungarian and German with no Serbian, which places the card before 1918, and both versions give it to the empress. The Holy Trinity column stands at the centre with market carts drawn up around it, and an electric tram waits at the head of the square, so the picture is 1911 or later.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
Erzsebet-ter / Elisabeth Platz
- Date
- 1911–1918
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 750 × 500 px
Open on the full map ›