The only lettering is a single word over the canopy at the corner entrance, and it reads the same in Serbian, German and Hungarian, so the card's language gives no clue to its date. The block runs to three storeys in a stripped classical manner under a hipped tiled roof, its balconies railed in ironwork, with a wrought iron lantern on either side of the entrance and a relief roundel set into the canted corner bay above. A chain-link fence encloses a garden of newly set shrubs, and the kerb and roadway are freshly made, so this was taken soon after the building opened.
About this place
Iodine-rich mineral water was struck here in 1897 during drilling for drinking water near the Futog forest. A spa was built from 1908 and opened in 1910, its Secession-style main buildings designed by the Budapest architect Imre Francsek. The complex, which included the Park hotel and a bathhouse, was enlarged in 1931 and remained a well-known resort into the 1960s; its central pool closed in 1977. The buildings today house the Special Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, the only specialised rheumatology institution in Vojvodina, and the whole ensemble is protected as a cultural-historical complex.
- Date
- 1929
- Coordinates
- 45.24982, 19.82854
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 540 × 720 px
Open on the full map ›