The same purpose is printed three times over, in Hungarian, Serbian Cyrillic and German, so the card was sold as a fundraiser to a town that read all three scripts under Hungarian administration. A biplane banks over the rooftops with the cathedral spire below it.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
Ujvidék az aviatikáért / Нови Сад у корист авиатике / Ujvidék für die Aviatik
- Date
- 1913
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 862 × 1346 px
Open on the full map ›