The road bridge stands complete on its masonry river piers, which puts the view between its opening in 1928 and its mining in 1941. On the Novi Sad quay behind it the colonnaded Officers' House is already up, and the town is still low enough that the neo-Gothic spire of the Name of Mary church is the tallest thing on its skyline. Nothing is printed on the picture side to date or place the card.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito. In photographs it is told apart from the town’s other crossings by the spiked finials along its truss, a silhouette that recalls the bridges of Budapest.
- Date
- 1928–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 500 × 294 px
Open on the full map ›