The bridge is the arched truss road crossing that stood only from 1928 until 1941, while the caption is in Hungarian alone, so the card was most likely printed during the wartime occupation from a photograph taken in the Yugoslav years before it. Still water reaches away to the fortress on its hill, which closes the far bank.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
On the card
Kilatas Petervaradra
- Date
- 1928–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 879 × 589 px
Open on the full map ›