A private snapshot rather than a published card, with no caption or imprint anywhere on it. Ice pans lie in the water and snow covers the bank, and the pontoon bridge is nowhere in the river, as it would not be: it was lifted every autumn before the ice came and laid again in spring. A steam vessel with two tall funnels is tied up at a stone slipway, and the fortress stands across the water on its bluff with the clock tower whose long hand tells the hours. The man in the long greatcoat and peaked service cap is not identified.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
- Date
- 1910s
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1582 × 1082 px
Open on the full map ›