The square is named twice in Serbian, in Cyrillic and in Latin with no Hungarian or German alongside, and the name it is given, Liberation Square, was itself only conferred after 1918, so the card belongs to the Kingdom period and before the occupation of 1941. A rank of hooded fiacres waits along the kerb with not a motor car among them, while tram rails and an overhead wire run past the flank of the Name of Mary church.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
On the card
Трг Ослобођења / Trg Oslobodjenja
- Date
- 1919–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 900 × 600 px
Open on the full map ›