The caption is Hungarian alone, with the street name in the older cz spelling, which puts the card under Hungarian administration before 1918, while the two tram cars standing in the roadway place it after the line opened in 1911. Tall leafy trees line the street, and the long classical front of the courthouse runs the length of it.
About this place
The court house stands at the Danube park end of Dunavska street and was raised in 1896 to plans by the Budapest architect Gyula Wagner. Under Hungarian rule it held the royal court of justice, and a trilingual postcard of 1915 labels it M. Kir. Törvényszék, Окружни суд and Justizpalais, giving the Hungarian, Serbian and German names in turn. It went on housing courts after 1918, when the city passed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. The Vojvodina Museum, founded in 1947 and without adequate premises for decades, moved into the former courthouse in 1974 and occupies it still under the name Museum of Vojvodina.
On the card
Duna utcza-Torvenykaz
- Date
- 1910s
- Coordinates
- 45.25647, 19.85145
- Source
- Public online source
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 640 × 406 px
Open on the full map ›